Hong Kong British Nationals Overseas


As of January 2021, Hong Kong residents with the British national (overseas) passport can now apply for a new immigration route that enables them to stay in the UK for five years with the possibility of an onward track to citizenship.

The Ministry of Housing, Communities & Local Government (MHCLG) have identified SESPM, alongside South East local authorities as key institutions to assist new arrivals from Hong Kong into the South East and is going to provide funding to SESPM to support the new arrivals (National welcome for Hong Kong arrivals – GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)).

As this work is still in the preliminary stages, gathering more information about the needs of new arrivals is essential to help inform the design of the support we provide. Consequently, we would welcome contact from schools, councils, local voluntary organisations as well as people arriving from Hong Kong themselves. Please contact us at: rachaelcoker@secouncils.gov.uk

If you are a new arrival from Hong Kong yourself intending on living in the South East of England, it would be most helpful if you were able to complete the short and anonymous survey below:

Further information